Sunday, June 20, 2010

Free Online Drawing Software: Google Drawings

FirstHorse
Free online drawing software
I am no artist, but made this drawing with words embedded into the image in less than 5 minutes including time to save it and upload to this blog post.

Have you tried Google Docs? I’ve been using it for nearly 3 years now and have experienced it getting better and better. I normally create a document first on my computer, then upload it, either so that I can access the information easily from anywhere, especially when traveling, or in order to get comments and edits from another person with whom I am collaborating. One cool thing is

that I can actually see the edits as they make them, and with Google’s pretty incredible offerings, can chat and post notes on the document as we collaborate, and even speak via Google voice or Google video chat while we are working. I find this to be one of the fastest ways to get a project completed quickly.

Cloud Computing
If you aren’t familiar with the concept of ‘cloud computing’, think of it as a way to create and store documents somewhere out in cyberspace on a remote computer so that  you have constant access to your documents, and can share them with friends for real-time collaboration. Read more from Wikipedia.

Google Drawings
I’m pretty excited about the new Google Drawings functionality, so just logged in to give it a try. It is now automatically part of your Google Docs choices. I created that drawing above in less than five minutes including time to save and then re-upload to this blog post. I am no artist, but the wheels are spinning as to how I can use this to represent my ideas when thinking of creative campaigns, or trying to add something to a document when I don’t have the right software. It allows me to insert images, word art, text, make drawings, insert a good selection of shapes and easily edit all colors outlines and sizes. I can save as a jpeg, png, pdf or svg format, or set it to share online with selected people or just make it public.I am using Firefox on Windows Vista and on Windows 7.

Then I went back in to try out the shapes and colors. The cool part is that I was able to then make that image public, and paste the link in the Wordpress image insert tool and it shows up here. Just think what I could do if I had better visual art skills! I foresee having fun with this tool and using it to convey flow of thoughts and rough ideas on a regular basis.

Thanks for this, Google! Let me know what you think of it, and if you create something with it, how about posting the results in the comments below?

No comments:

Post a Comment